ADVISING AND COURSE REGISTRATION
- At the start of each semester, please refer to the TCNJ’s academic calendar and familiarize yourself with the registration period for that semester.
- During the 2 weeks prior to registration, you should meet individually with your special education advisor. Be sure that you have met with your second major advisor prior to meeting with your special education major.
- When you meet with your advisor you must bring the following:
o A projected schedule for the next semester including days and times for all courses. Please click here for the special education course sequence.
o A list of alternative courses with days and times
o Your unofficial transcript
o An updated audit sheet. Please click here if you need a new audit sheet.
- You must meet with your advisor prior to registering for courses. If you do not meet with your advisor, there will be a hold placed on your PAWS account and you will not be able to register for your courses for the next semester.
WHAT YOU SHOULD REGISTER FOR
ADVISING FOR LIBERAL LEARNING REQUIREMENTS
Four courses required for the Special Education major also fulfill some Liberal Learning requirements. These courses are as follows:
RAL 225 for LL Literary Requirement
SPE 103 for LL Social Science Requirement
US History course for LL History Requirement
MAT 105 or 106 for LL Math Requirement
Remember that you must take a Visual and Performing Arts (VPA) course (Under LL Arts and Humanities) and a US History course (under LL History) to meet Elementary Education Certification Requirements. Also, you must cover Civic Responsibility Requirements, i.e., Community Engaged Learning, Gender, and Global Perspectives. (The Race and Ethnicity requirement has been waived for special education students). These requirements can be met through courses (including elective courses), programs, or sustained experiences. Consider trying to meet some of these requirements through your VPA and US History Liberal Learning courses. Also check to determine if your FSP Seminar (i.e. Freshman Seminar) covers any of these requirements. If your second major is: Then take:
|Biology||Take MAT 105 or MAT 106 as a Biology correlate|
|English||Instead of taking RAL 225, you must take LIT 310|
|History||Your history major should already cover the US History required correlate.|
|Math or iSTEM||Math majors take MAT 127, MAT 200 and MAT 105; iSTEM – take MAT 105 or MAT 200 (see iSTEM advisor).|
|Sociology||In addition to taking MAT 105 or MAT 106, take STA 115 or STA 215 as a Sociology correlate.|
|Psychology||SPE 203 will count as a Psychology option (for PSY 220).|
|WGS||Instead of taking RAL 225, teake WGS 225.|
Use the Special Education Audit Sheet for current and future planning during advising sessions. Be sure to check the list of approved courses for any Liberal Learning (LL) requirements.
Students must have 32 units of undergraduate coursework to receive their Bachelor’s degree. The 3 graduate courses taken during Year 4 do NOT count towards the undergraduate degree. Students must make sure that they are on track to graduate on time by taking 3 UG courses as either 5th courses for 3 semesters, or by transferring in course credits.
Most first year undergraduates take four (4) courses/semester. In order to graduate on time, most Special Education students take five (5) courses during the second, third, or fourth years (preferably the second or third year), take summer or winter courses, or transfer in acceptable courses from another college. Since PAWS will not permit you to register for more than 4.5 units, the Undergraduate Coordinator arrange for permission for you to register for five courses provided you have the required cumulative GPA of 3.3.
- Program planner: Special education course sequence
- Audit sheet for special education majors
- Permission to Increase Student Credit/Course Load Request form
- Approval for Graduate Course Credit form
- Suggested course sequences and audit sheets by second major:
* ART program planner and Art audit sheet
* BIOLOGY (Advising forms are being revised and will be posted soon)
* ENGLISH program planner and English audit sheet
* HISTORY program planner and History audit sheet
* iSTEM program planner and iSTEM Special Education Audit Sheet
* MATH For students who entered Fall 2014:Math program planner and Math audit sheet
For students who entered prior Fall 2014: Math Program Planner and Math audit sheet
* MUSIC (Advising forms are being revised and will be posted soon)
* PSYCHOLOGY program planner and Psychology Audit Sheet
* SOCIOLOGY program planner and Audit Sheet Sociology
* SPANISH program planner and Spanish Audit Sheet
* WOMEN & GENDER STUDIES WGS Program Planner Fall 2015 and WGS Audit Sheet Fall 2015
STATE REGULATIONS FOR TEACHER CANDIDATES
Click here for important state regulation information:
You must have these requirements completed by your junior year.
INFORMATION FOR INTERNAL TRANSFERS
Click here if you are currently a TCNJ student who wishes to transfer into the five-year program.
ELECTIVE STRANDS AND REGISTRATION SEQUENCE FOR FALL AND SPRING
Click here for information on the specialty strand sequences.