INFORMATION FOR CURRENT STUDENTS
SPED 617 Graduate Practicum
Students in the M.Ed. (SPED_MED02) and Post-Baccalaureate certification programs (SPEC_SCT02) are required to take SPED 617/Practicum (3 credits). This part-time field experience requires a minimum of 20 hours per week in a classroom for the duration of a semester (15 weeks). Since many students are working teachers, the practicum can be completed “on the job” if it meets the following criteria:
- The classroom has at least 3 students with IEPs.
- You identify a mentor – a teacher who is certified in special education — to support you through the experience
- The placement is approved by your district.
In addition to registering for SPED 617, students need to complete a Field Placement Form:
- Download & complete the 617 Field Placement Form, and email the completed form to Dr. Monaco and Dr. Foxworth.
–For “on the job” arrangements provide Dr. Dell with details of your current employment and how it meets the criteria given above.
–If you need to be placed in a school for the practicum, indicate your choices of placement on the form.
- The Field Placement Form must be submitted well in advance of the semester in which you will complete the practicum.