The College of New Jersey

Apply     Visit     Give     |     Alumni     Parents     Offices     TCNJ Today     

Deaf Education Fall Advisement & Registration Information

Deaf Education Fall Advisement and Registration Information

The following provides you with an outline of courses required by Deaf Education and/or Liberal Learning as well as general reminders of the College and Program requirements.  Click here for the 5-Year Course Sequence which also provides helpful information.

Please remember that you have two majors:   your primary major is Education of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing and your secondary major is in one of 11 disciplines.  You need to meet with an adviser from each major.

Please note that the Assistant Dean of Education automatically places Advising Holds on some students to make sure that they see an adviser prior to registration.  The following are the categories of holds placed by the Assistant Dean:  1) GPA of less than 2.75 for students with less than senior status; 2) GPA of less than a 3.0 for students who are seniors or who have senior status (in terms of total units earned); 3) first semester transfer students who have not attained an academic record at TCNJ.  Advising holds are removed AFTER the student meets with the DHH adviser.

All Deaf Education majors should come by the Special Education Office (311 Education) to sign up for an individual appointment with either Dr. Slobodzian or with Dr. Strassman.  Sign-up sheets will be available beginning on March 4th.

  • Rising sophomores and juniors should make an appointment with Dr. Slobodzian.
  • Rising seniors, seniors who will be earning the BS degree in December 2013, and transfer students should make an appointment with Dr. Strassman.
  • Rising graduate level students MUST come to a group meeting to be held in 311 Education on April 3rd, 3:45 – 4:30.  They should bring with them a) the graduate audit sheet and b) the Graduate Course Request sheet (be sure to click on the hyperlinks to obtain the required documents)

Come to your advisement meeting prepared with the following:

  1. An unofficial transcript (available on PAWS)
  2. An updated DHH Audit Sheet (click here).  On the Audit Sheet be sure to note:
    a. Grades earned (pay special attention to courses which have a minimum grade requirement)
    b. Which Civic Responsibilities you have completed and through which course you did this
  3. Knowledge of your overall grade point average (GPA)
  4. A projected schedule of courses that you will take.  Use the chart below to know which DHH courses you must take (indicated in red) and which other courses it would be advisable to take

General advisement points:

  1. To complete the BS degree in 4 years, most students will need to take 2 or 3 courses in summer school or take 5 courses in 2 or 3 different semesters.  Students must have a GPA of 3.3 or higher to be enrolled in 5 courses/semester.  Students are unable to enroll themselves in 5 courses.  This requires the help of an adviser.
  2. Please remember that the BS degree is only awarded if a student has completed all of the requirements of both majors and all Liberal Learning requirements.  A student must have a minimum of 32 undergraduate units for a BS degree.  Graduate courses taken do not count toward the 32 undergraduate minimum requirement.
  3. Consider taking SCI 104 or a biology class to fulfill the Liberal Learning science requirement.  This will exempt you from taking the State Health Test.
  4. Providing that all prerequisites have been met, Deaf Education majors are guaranteed admission to all classes within the SELL Department.  These are courses that begin with ASL, DHH, RAL, SLP, SPE.  This should not be an excuse to register late but does tell you that the department will help you gain a seat in a course in which all sections are closed.
  5. Some courses (consult the DHH Audit Sheet) require a minimum grade.  Students who earn below that grade must repeat the course. Students who earn a “D” or “F” in a required course must repeat that course. By College policy, students may repeat a course only one time.  Students who want to take a course more than twice must appeal to the department for permission to do so.  (Note that Records and Registration does NOT automatically recalculate students GPA when a course has been repeated and a higher grade earned.  Students must file with Records and Registration for a GPA recalculation.)


Rising Sophomores

Rising Juniors

Rising Seniors

Rising Graduate Level Students

ASL 102 or 103 and conversation hour, as appropriateRAL 220-03—Dr. Strassman’s sectionDHH 423DFHH 690 or ELEM 695 for 6 sh
SLP 304–please note that this course is offered in Fall semesters onlyDHH 303Any outstanding Liberal Learning requirement—this includes US History, VPA (music, art or theatre), lab science and children’s literatureESLM Class
A course or two in your second majorA course or two in your second majorA course or two in your second major
LNG 201, MAT 105 or 106, SLP 102, or SPE 203.MAT 105 or 106 is a prerequisite to MST 202 which you will take in the Spring.Any outstanding Liberal Learning requirement—this includes a US History course, a visual performing arts class (music, art or theatre), a lab science and children’s literature courseAny outstanding Liberal Learning requirement—this includes US History, VPA (music, art or theatre), lab science and children’s literatureDFHH 522 (Please click here to print the form needed for an undergraduate to enroll in a graduate level class.)  Be sure to bring this form to your advisement meeting.  NB:  An undergraduate student must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher to take a graduate class and have earned at least 24 course units.
Students with a GPA of 3.3 or higher should consider taking a 5th course.Students with a GPA of 3.3 or higher should consider taking a 5th course.Students are advised not to take 5 courses when enrolled in DHH 423.





The College is open with very limited on-campus staffing. All advising sessions will be conducted virtually through phone, Skype, or Google Hangout as determined with your education advisor.