The College of New Jersey

Apply     Visit     Give     |     Alumni     Parents     Offices     TCNJ Today     

FAQs for Students Who Want to Transfer into The Deaf Education Program

Can I transfer into the program if I have already earned a bachelor’s degree?

As we are not a stand-alone master’s program, our program is designed for students who have not yet earned a bachelor’s degree. Students must transfer into the undergraduate program and continue into the 5th year to earn the master’s degree. Students who hold a bachelor’s degree are welcome to transfer into the program, earn a second undergraduate degree, and then continue into the graduate portion of the course of study.

Must I know ASL or sign language before entering the program?

Knowledge of American Sign Language (ASL) or sign language is not a prerequisite for admission into the program. Students who have however either taken ASL courses or who have heritage knowledge of ASL will be required to take an ASL placement test to determine the communicative competency in the language. Information about the placement test is sent to students after they are admitted to the college. Based on placement test results, a student may be waived out of TCNJ’s ASL classes and earn transfer credit for ASL classes taken elsewhere.

What degrees and certifications will I have when I complete the program?

Having completed a dual major in a liberal arts area and in deaf education, students will earn a bachelor’s degree without teacher certification at the end of their fourth year.  Students who meet all requirements of The College of New Jersey, the School of Education, and the Deaf Education Program at the end of the fourth year are admitted to the graduate portion of the program.  All applicable teaching certifications are earned at the graduate level. These include New Jersey licenses as a) Teacher of the Deaf or Hard of Hearing Oral/Aural, b) Teacher of the Deaf or Hard of Hearing Sign Communication (this requires the student to pass a State mandated sign communication interview), and c) Elementary School Teacher Grades K-6.  Depending on a student’s second major, that student may be eligible for New Jersey teaching endorsements at the middle and/or high school level in the content area of the second major.

At the undergraduate level, the student must select one of the following second majors: art, English, mathematics, history, biology, Spanish, music, psychology, sociology, or iSTEM.  Students who major in a teachable subject area (i.e., not psychology or sociology) will have the opportunity to seek a subject matter specialization as a highly qualified teacher prepared to teach that subject in grades 6-8 and in some content areas in grades 9-12 as well.

When are my credits from my previous institution evaluated for transfer to TCNJ?

In assessing a student’s transcript, the College tries to give transfer credit for as much as possible. Official transfer evaluations however, are only completed after a student has been accepted into the program. Equivalency tables for transfer credits from other colleges can however, provide you with useful guidance.

How many credits may I transfer into TCNJ?

By College policy, no more than 16 course units* (=64 semester hours) may be transferred from schools designated as community colleges or junior colleges. No more than 20 course units (=80 semester hours) may be transferred from all sources. A maximum of 3 of these courses may count toward the deaf education major. Additionally, at least 12 course units must be earned at The College of New Jersey. Normally the student’s last eight course units will be taken at the College. No more than three course units in the senior year may be earned away from the College. Such enrollment must be expressly approved in advance by the student’s department and the Office of Records and Registration.

Students entering with fewer than 8 course units (32 credits) are considered freshmen and must also complete the FSP and civic responsibility learning component of the College’s Liberal Learning Program. Transfer students with more than 8 course units (32+ earned credits) will have FSP and the Civic Responsibility component of the freshman year waived.

*Undergraduate courses at TCNJ are 1 course unit or 4 semester hours. Courses taken at other institutions are typically 3 semester hours. Transferred courses may therefore appear on a student’s TCNJ transcript for .75 course units. To earn an undergraduate degree at TCNJ a student must complete a minimum of 32 undergraduate course units or 128 semester hours. Undergraduate graduation is dependent upon completion of the minimum number of course units and all requirements specified by a student’s majors.

How do I transfer into the program if I am already a TCNJ student?

Transfer into the program from another program within the College is based upon the following performance standards or grade earned in these “foundation courses”: WRI 102—if not exempted (B); FSP (B). Also see requirements for individual majors in the schools of Art, Media, and Music; Humanities and Social Sciences; Engineering; and Science. Current TCNJ students who wish to change transfer into the Deaf Education Program must complete a Change of Major Form. This form must be signed by the Deaf Education Program Coordinator.



The College is open with very limited on-campus staffing. All advising sessions will be conducted virtually through phone, Skype, or Google Hangout as determined with your education advisor.