Students in the Special Education 5-year program have the option of earning NJ Teacher of the Blind/Visually Impaired certification by adding a specialty sequence of courses during the final year of the program.
Core MAT Courses
- SPED 501/Students with Disabilities in our Schools
- EDUC 614/Creating and Sustaining Classroom Communities
- EDUC 513/Collaboration, Consultation and Partnerships
- SPED 626/Teaching Students with Severe Disabilities
- SPED 695/Internship II
Courses in Teaching Students who are Blind/Visually Impaired:*
- SPED 675/ Implications of Blindness
- SPED 673/ Literary Braille
- SPED 672/ Strategies for Teaching Blind/Visually Impaired
- SPED 674/Assistive Technology for the Blind/Visually Impaired (in place of SPED 521)
- SPED 671/Nemeth Braille
* Students who elect to complete an additional student teaching experience in blind/visually impaired will be eligible to apply for NJ certification as a Teacher of the Blind/Visually Impaired.