Ph.D., ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR
Scholarly Interests: Multimodal composing practices; creativity in literacy practices; new and digital literacies in K-12 classrooms.
Courses Taught: RAL 220 – Literacy Strategies & Assessment in Special Education; RDLG 691 Diagnosis of Reading Difficulties; RDLG 692 – Remediation of Reading Difficulties; RDLG 579 – Content Area Literacy; RDLG 597 – Digital Literacies in a Globally Connected World
Articles published in The Reading Teacher and Literacy; Conference presentations at the American Educational Research Association (AERA), the International Reading Association (IRA), and the National Literacy Coaching Summit; Served as a literacy coach and teacher in NJ public schools; Holds certifications in General Education, Special Education and Education of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing.
- Stornaiuolo, A., Hull, G., & Hall, M. (In Press). Cosmopolitan practices, networks, and flows of literacy. In K.A. Mills, A. Stornaiuolo, A. Smith, & J. Zacher Pandya (Eds.), The routledge handbook of digital writing and literacies research). New York: NY: Routledge.
- Slobodzian, J., Pancsofar, N., Hall, M., & Peel, A. (2016). A closer look at the pragmatic model of mentored undergraduate research: Examples from one school of education. CUR Quarterly, 37(1), 41-45.
- Hall, M. (2015). Composing in public: The ambient audiences of a writing lab. Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy, 59(3), 309-318.
- Smith, A., Hall, M. & Sousanis, N. (2015). Envisioning possibilities: Visualizing as inquiry in literacy studies. Literacy, 49(1).
- Stornaiuolo, A. & Hall, M. (2014). Tracing resonance: Qualitative research in a networked world. In K. Vasbo & G. Gudmundsdottir (Eds.), Methodological challenges when exploring digital learning spaces in education (pg 29-44). Boston: Sense Publishers.
- Hall, M. & Stahl, K.A.D. (2012). Devillainizing video in support of comprehension and vocabulary instruction. The Reading Teacher, 65 (6), 403-406.
Selected Conference Presentations:
- Hall, M. (February, 2017). Writing as change: Exploring the dynamics and interpretations of “change.” Paper presentation at the Annual Penn Ethnography Forum in Philadelphia, PA
- Hall, M. & Stornaiuolo, A. (November, 2016). Tracing impact through data visualizations of networked writing. Paper presentation at the Annual Literacy Research Association conference in Nashville, Tennessee.
- Stornaiuolo, A., & Hall, M. (April 2016). Global rhetorical arts in the Write4Change online community. Paper presentation at the Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association conference in Washington, DC.
- Hall, M. & Stornaiuolo, A. (April 2016). Resonance maps of adolescent writing practices in online spaces. Paper presentation at the Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association conference in Washington, DC.
- Smith, A., Phillips, N., Stornaiuolo, A., Hall, M., Jung, J., Washington, S., & Allen, S. (February 2016). Tracing mobile literacy practices ethnographically: Exploring a transliteracies approach. Alternative format presentation at the Annual Penn Ethnography Forum in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Smith, A., Phillips, N., Stornaiuolo, A., Hall, M., Wargo, J. (December 2015). Methods for researching transliteracies in practice: An embodied theoretical review. Paper presentation at the Annual Literacy Research Association conference in Carlsbad, California.
- Hall, M. (April, 2014). The performance of designing: Improvisation in the composing context. Paper presentation at the Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association conference in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Degrees: Ph.D., New York University, Teaching and Learning; M.A., B.S. The College of New Jersey